Simplify Your Home Step by Step
With the holiday season over, it is a great time to simplify your home. Here is my step by step guide to get you in the right direction.
• Start with the function of the space.
• Know your needs, requirements and wants.
• Stop buying useless stuff!
• Purge your unwanted, unused, low-quality and useless stuff. Sell it, give it away, dump it!
• Look to maximize underutilized spaces.
• Maximize vertical wall space and maximize all of your closets
• Create simple furniture layouts.
• Make it beautiful with a cohesive color and texture palette.
• If you can’t do it alone, ask a friend to help and tackle it together and do the same in return.
• Don’t keep things out of guilt.
• Keep things if you love them, if they are useful and if you have space or a place for them.
• Design your home to accommodate your Every Day Lifestyle.
• To seek a solution as yourself “what’s missing”, or “why doesn’t this work”. Then focus on that item or issue.
• Create an overall plan and tackle it in small tasks that you can finish in a few hours, a day or a weekend. The key is to be able to finish one task before moving to the next one.
• Have fun, don’t stress, think differently about your stuff and home.
Julie Fergus, ASID, is a nationally published interior designer. Her studio and showroom is located in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. Julie's clients are primarily in the Lakes Region and Mount Washington Valley, however, she will travel throughout the state and North East. www.JulieFergus.com